Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Identity Theft

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. John 10:10

Have you ever gone to the checkout counter at a local retailer and have the person politely whisper to you that you do not have sufficient funds in your account to purchase their merchandise? It can be embarrassing and cause your blood pressure to rise fast. Honestly, this is something that you may not want to admit to anyone. Bad checks, bad credit and a bad name are things that everyone wants to stay away from.

Yesterday while trying to purchase an item from a local retailer, I was faced with this embarrassing situation. The cashier scanned the items that we needed, and I swiped my debit card through the machine. For some reason, it would not work. Doesn’t it make you frustrated when you know the money is in the bank but you can’t get it out? Especially when the people in line behind you are laughing inside because the cashier has to whisper to you the dreadful words, “insufficient funds.” The plastic didn’t work, so I decided to try a check. It was out in the car, so I ran through the rain and came back in as fast as I could. The people behind me were still waiting in line, patiently. I write the check, and the cashier runs it through the system and tells me again, “denied.” Not only am I denied, but I also have two bad checks in the system for $290.

My wife of 11 weeks is standing beside me, and I can’t believe this is happening. Then, I remembered. About two years ago, my car was broken into at the downtown YMCA and all of my checks were stolen and spent from Wal-Mart to Dollar General. I had cancelled everything immediately, sent police reports into all the business and had everything cleared at the local stores. However, there is still a glitch in the system at headquarters that must be worked out. As I stood at the front desk, I talked to the manager in sincerity, truth and integrity, because I knew I was walking in truth and this was a mistake.

Everyday, Satan is trying to break into homes and churches to steal their identity in Christ. He has always been a liar, cheater, and an imitator of the things of God. He wants Christians to think that God will not hear their prayers, have sufficient grace to accomplish their God-given tasks, and wants to frustrate us to steal our testimony of love, joy and peace. He is a defeated foe and can never stand up to a man who has fulfilled the law and is walking in integrity.

Jesus, who knew no sin, became sin for us that we might be made the righteousness of God through Him. He hung on the cross and identifies Himself with us. He took our bad checks, bad credit and our bad names and forgave us by grace through faith. We no longer have to worry about insufficient funds, because He is able to supply all our needs according to His riches in grace. Nor do we ever have to worry about being denied. He tells us in Hebrews 4:16 “Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.” In Christ, our identity is secure. We are forgiven, treasured and deeply loved. For the scripture says, Whosoever believes on him shall not be ashamed. (Romans 10:11) When we are standing at the checkout of life, we can know that our identity is cleared and will be granted access through Christ into everlasting joy that no man can steal. Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, To the only wise God our Savior, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen. (Jude 24-25)

No comments:

Post a Comment