Thursday, September 27, 2007

An Inconvenient Truth

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
John 3:19-21 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.


Have you ever had something embarrassing happen to you and you couldn’t bring yourself to admit it to anyone else? Isn’t it difficult to come out and confess that you may be wrong about something? Growing up, my dad placed a magnet on our refrigerator that said, “Hire a teenager while they still know everything.” We often feel like we are always right in every situation and sometimes find it hard to humble ourselves for the sake of truth. Most of the time, we can be like little children who will tell every story except for the truth.

While visiting the Red Cross one day, I can remember an incident that really opened my eyes to telling the truth. I had just signed in after reading the manual for those who donate blood. Before I could get to my seat, the nurse called me back. The only problem that I had was that I needed to use the restroom. I asked her if I could go quickly, and I did. Within 90 seconds, I had gone to the rest room and returned. The nurse responded, “That was fast. Did you make sure that you washed your hands?” She was laughing and making a joke out of it, but immediately, I said, “Of course, I washed my hands.” However, deep within, I knew that I had just told a lie, and I was caught by my conscience.

Over the past few weeks, Jesus has been teaching me that I need to watch my mouth and actions so that I do not lie to others. In Hebrews we read, “For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do” (Ch. 4:12-13). My heart had been pierced by God’s Word even though it was of small significance or consequence. God sees everything in my heart whether I deny it or not. Everyday, we can hide behind a smile, but our hearts can be so far from God.

Why do you think there is so much evil in the world today? Men and women just like me and you had rather lie about the truth rather than face the truth. God spoke to my heart and said if I can lie about the small things then it will be easy to lie about bigger things. Lying must be taken out at the root. Instead of allowing my conscience to be weighed down by the guilt, I asked the nurse to step aside so that I could speak to her. She was caught off guard when I told her that I had not washed my hands before entering the office. She easily forgave me, and my heart was set free. Though the consequence for this lie was small, it was large enough that Jesus had to die on the cross for my sins. James 2:10 says, “For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.”

If you have ever told a single lie, you are in need of God’s grace and forgiveness. Instead of walking around with guilt over your past, pain in your present and hopelessness in your future, go to Jesus, the way, the truth and the life, seeking restoration and peace. He has promised, “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9). Sometimes, the truth seems rather inconvenient for a time; however, I had rather repent and be changed by God’s grace than to wake up at the end of my life and realize I had lived one big lie. As for me, I am resting in Christ’s finish work on the cross and remembering to wash my hands daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment