Thursday, January 10, 2008

A Real Friend

Proverbs 18:24 A man that hath friends must show himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticks closer than a brother.

Have you ever had someone come up and tell you that you still have the sticker with the size of your pants on the back of your leg? Has anyone ever told you that you had food stuck in your teeth or something hanging out of your nose? Of course, you could not help but to get a little embarrassed. However, did you see the person’s concern that they had for you? In many ways, we would like to find these things out for ourselves and be self-preserved, yet everyday, we need a help from our friends.

What is a real friend? They might be described as someone you like to spend time with, a person who has the same interests and hobbies, or someone you can share your real self to without fear. True friendship goes beyond someone you can hang out with or share a common interest for comforts sake. True friendship takes time to build and must have the foundational element of truthfulness and transparency.

While visiting a place where I speak regularly the other day, I came across two men who were older than me that had some advice that might help me. They told me that they were at the devotional that I led a few weeks ago. They have heard me speak many times and gave me some constructive criticism on how I could improve. At first, my heart wanted to say, “How dare you for trying to correct me?” This is often our first instinct from the smallest child to the person who is fifty and still working under a boss. Immediately, we want to justify ourselves. It is so hard for us to take correction. Proverbs 3:11 reminds us, “My son, despise not the chastening of the LORD; neither be weary of his correction:” Also Proverbs 9:9 teaches, “Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser: teach a just man, and he will increase in learning.” Instead of justifying ourselves, it is of greater importance for us to evaluate if the statement is true. If so, we should accept it graciously and be thankful that someone would love us enough to carefully point out our mistakes.

After the conversation, I began thinking about what the two men told me. It really stuck with me and lingered in my mind for a few days. I realized that they were right, and God was trying to help me to be a better speaker by listening to their advice. This is why real friends are so important. They will tell you the truth in love even though it sometimes hurts. In the end, truth is the only thing that has the power to set us free.

In the U. S., we have one of the greatest privileges of hearing the truth of God’s word proclaimed. The reason that many fail to go to church is simply because they do not want to hear the truth about their sinful lives. Where would we be today without men and women who are more concerned for truth than the feelings of those comfortable at heart. Genuine love “rejoices not in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth” (1 Corinthians 13:6). A real friend will be the one who will tell you the most truth. Do you remember the Apostle Paul’s experience on the road to Damascus? He thought he had it all together. He was even ready to have men and women of God arrested until Jesus spoke to his sinful heart. His heart was broken, yet God gloriously saved him. At the end of his life First Timothy 4:16-17a records, “At my first answer no man stood with me, but all men forsook me: I pray God that it may not be laid to their charge. Notwithstanding the Lord stood with me, and strengthened me.” Today, we have a friend who sticks closer than any brother—Jesus Christ. He loves you and me but will make us uncomfortable about ourselves with the truth His Word reveals.

No comments:

Post a Comment