Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The Real Thing

And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life. 1 John 5:20

How easy is it to distinguish between the real thing and an imitation? We have spent most of our lives learning how to discern the genuine versus the fake. Do you remember growing up as a child and going to the grocery store with your parents and being able to choose your canned drinks for the week? I can’t remember the brand, but I do know they were about 20-25 cents per can. Out of the orange, grape, and ginger ale, my sister and I would normally have a few colas mixed in. At the time, I didn’t know the difference between cola or Coca-Cola. I can also remember the few times that my dad would make sure that he purchased Velveeta instead of Easy Cheese. Some generic items were OK for a family on a fixed budget, but some choices had to be made for the real deal.

Have you ever thought about the real thing and imitation in your choices of a church home or even in your own spiritual life? I can tell you by experience that it is much better trying to be the real thing than pretending to walk with God. I have written often of the 13 years that I professed to be a Christian, because I walked the church aisle and was baptized. I was only a pretender and faked my way through church services and a Christian university, yet God saw my heart and His message of truth cut me like a knife and has changed my life forever. There is no comparison to the past 5 years of my life since Jesus Christ has rescued me from my sin, hell and one day will deliver me through death. Glory be to God! Even though I know I have eternal life in Christ Jesus based completely on His grace, do you? Are you that confident that you are the real thing—born of God’s Spirit with a new heart, fresh eyes and a desire to see God glorified in all of your life?

The other day I was visiting a local school and was involved in a conversation with a man who said that he put his time in on Sunday but left Wednesday night for backsliders and others more interested in the Christian faith. Most of what he said was in jest, but I have learned that many things people say jokingly reveal the true nature of their heart. This is not just one instance. You could ask ten people today what they think of Jesus Christ, and you would probably get 8 different answers. Hopefully, two or three out of the ten are true disciples who cling to Christ for their very life, strength, support and reason for living. He is not the icing on the cake to my happy and comfortable American Christian life. He is the substance, source and superlative Savior of my soul. What message is being sent through your relationship with the Almighty God through Jesus Christ?

People are confused today about what it means to be a Christian. Primetime television dismisses the reality of a Holy God by portraying beautiful pictures of every immorality that God abhors. God’s name is slung through the mud and is even allowed to be mention as long as Jesus Christ is not honored and glorified as God’s Son. Christian television even portrays Christ as being something we should add to our health, wealth and prosperity. We are living in dangerous and superficial times. How can we discern truth from error or the real and genuine from the false and fake? We need spiritual discernment. As children, we were able to tell the difference between generic cola and Coca-Cola or Velveeta cheese or Easy Cheese. In the same way as children of God, we can’t replace heart-felt times of prayer with 30 seconds of saying grace before meals, diligent Bible Study for 3 hours on the X-Box, and fellowship with the saints for hours at the social club of your choice. Either Christ is everything or He is nothing at all! Even children can tell the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment