Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Faithfulness of God


God is faithful, by whom you were called into the fellowship of his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

1 Corinthians 1:9


It has been two years since I stopped writing my weekly "Word of Encouragement". On May 8, 2008, I got some of the most shocking news of my life. My dad had passed away during an afternoon nap at 48 years of age; it turned my world upside down. How could my dad, who I had looked up to for so long, be gone just that fast? I preached his funeral, because it was something I felt had to do. God had called me into the ministry in 2003, and my dad had presented me before the ordained brethren at my ordination in 2005. He was also the Best Man at my wedding in 2007, and he was in the audience when I was inducted into the Carroll County Sports Hall of Fame on May 3rd just five days before he was gone.


Over the past two years, I have felt like I have become weaker and weaker, while God has become stronger and stronger. I wanted to be the one encouraging others all the time, but I became the one who needed encouragement. I thought I was strong and independent, yet I have been held up by so many people through prayer and friendship. I thought I had it all together-- marriage, a home, and a good job. However, I realized that in brokenness I could see God more clearly. Instead of looking to the tall idols of self-sufficiency and independence, I was forced to the ground on my knees in despair. I truly thought I was doing better about a year after dad passed. Then, I faced reality once more when 10 months later mom passed on March 9th, 2009. It was a hard hit and broke my heart once more.


It is so difficult during times when death and devastation come our way. There are many ways to deal with this type of pain; it can be covered up, ran from, or faced head on. Over the past few days, I have been watching the news in Nashville, and it has been a devastating sight. From washed-out city streets and flooded buildings to destroyed homes and lost family members, our cities and communities have been overwhelmed with loss and heart ache. Whether you have been impacted directly or not, it has been heart-breaking to watch the images from the flood throughout Tennessee.


While homes are being gutted and photos are being sifted through, I want to remind you that God is there. When you feel like you can’t take it another day, God is there to hold you up. When you feel like falling on your knees in shock and amazement, God the Father is there. He’s there at the loss of a parent. He is there when the storms are raging, and He’s there when the sun is shining bright. He is the Eternal God who rules and reigns over time and eternity. He knows the pain and grief so many are facing at this very hour; He is reaching out to them through the hands and feet of those all around. Most importantly, my friend, I want you to know that He is there when know one else is and can give you peace in the midst of chaos. God is FAITHFUL, by whom you were called into the fellowship of his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.


Prayer

Gracious Father in heaven, we come to you as individuals, families, cities, counties, a state, nation, and world. We need your grace and strength. We thank you for sending your Son Jesus Christ into this world that we could be able to know you, to have our sins forgiven, and to experience the peace of having a restored relationship with You. Although we know that many hate your Son, we love Jesus Christ because he died for our sins and appeased your wrath against us. Thank you for your glorious salvation!


Although we know many ignore or are angry at You, we know that You are good and your mercy endures forever. Father help us at this time to love our neighbor as ourselves, love our enemies, bless them that curse us, do good to them that hate us, and pray for them which despitefully use us, and persecute us; Father may we reflect Your grace, goodness and love to others. We know you make the sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and send rain on the just and on the unjust. During this time of devastation, help your children to minister to the needs of others and may unbelievers see your power, grace, and love and come to Jesus for salvation! In Christ’s name and for His Glory! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment