Thursday, March 1, 2007

Small things…

For who hath despised the day of small things? Zechariah 4:10
1 Chronicles 27:28 And over the olive trees and the sycomore trees that were in the low plains was Baalhanan the Gederite: and over the cellars of oil was Joash:

Have you ever thought about your life in comparison to the multitudes that live around the world? There are approximately 6.6 billion people living in the world today. This really sheds light on all that I do. I feel incomparably small in comparison to the whole. Have you ever felt this way? Sometimes this makes me feel like I can’t make a difference or why should I try. However, I remind myself of one of my favorite quotes from the movie Gladiator, “Whatever you do in life, echoes in eternity.” From God’s perspective, we must look rather small, in comparison to how we look down at ants working vigorously.

In comparison to the whole, how can we make a difference or what does God require of us? Is it the amount of work that we produce while we are living that matters? Does He base our worth on the amount of people that we are able to reach out to each day? Maybe, you have felt that being elevated in your job to higher levels is what pleases God the most. All of these things are good in themselves, but they are not the standard by which you and I will be judged? God doesn’t reward based on the size of the task, but faithfulness to what He has asked.

Growing up, we all learned about responsibility and what our parents required of us. When we were small babies, all we did was lay around and goo and gah hoping that we could get a lot of attention. As you and I grew older, we learned to walk by holding our parents hand. Then, we learned to talk. Eventually, we were taught our ABC’s and sent off to school. The older we became the more responsibilities that we were given. Between ages 5-10, I really learned about what it meant to clean my room when I was asked. Between ages 10-15, I was taught how to mow the yard and chop wood for the stove in the winter. It wasn’t always fun, but I knew that it had to be done and I was never left alone doing it. My father was always with me as he showed me how to work to provide for the family. He taught me to be faithful in the small things, because some day, I would have to start my own family and learn to provide and be faithful to them.

You may be asking, what does this have to do with me? Where are you currently in your life stage or spiritual growth. First and foremost, you must be born again of God’s spirit and know it. I talked with a friend today that had walked the aisle of a church at age 8, but truly had never been regenerated by the Spirit of God until one and a half years ago. Now, he has been liberated from the doubts of “am I really saved.” Secondly, we are all on a spiritual journey. Many want to play games in their life with God and remain spiritual infants all of their lives, because they do not want to take on the responsibility that God is requiring of them. And so—they spend most of their time running. You do not have to run any longer. The Prodigal Son realized worldly living had ruined his real life of fellowship with his father and he returned… Have you forgotten the small things that God has asked you to do? God wants to lead you by his hand each day into a deeper relationship with Him, but he requires that you be found faithful to the task that He has given you in this time and place.

Now, how can you find fulfillment in your small life and small job. There was a man in the Bible that was placed over the cellars of oil named Joash. I can imagine that his job was in a dark place where no one paid attention to what he was doing. The room was probably dingy and cold, but he took great delight in what he did. He was faithful in keeping the cellar clean and was ready whenever anyone asked him for some oil from the cellar. Those asking may have never been grateful or ever said a kind word for all that he had done. However, his joy was not found in everyone else’s complements or ideas of his small job, but was discovered in knowing that the oil that he prepared was being used in the temple to light the candlesticks of the holy place and to anoint the king. We, too, can find ourselves in low places of service where many never notice the significance of what we do, especially in light of eternity, yet those small cups of water that we give out in Christ’s name to refresh someone’s soul will not go unnoticed in eternity.

One life can impact one, tens, hundreds and thousands if we will heed Christ’s words in John 12:24-26 “Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abides alone: but if it die, it brings forth much fruit. He that loves his life shall lose it; and he that hates his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal. If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honor.” Be encouraged and remain faithful where God has planted you. “For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to shew himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him.” (2 Chronicles 16:9) He’s ready to make Himself known in your life as you humble yourself in His sight!

No comments:

Post a Comment