Wednesday, April 9, 2008

There’s Something about that Name

Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Have you ever been in close contact with someone who is famous and been overwhelmed with awe and joy? The giddiness, excitement and rush can cause you to do some crazy things. In Junior High, Miss Tennessee came to our school to support the D.A.R.E. (Drug Abuse Resistance Education) program. When she walked the halls with the crown and beauty, I could have melted and especially when she handed each student an award for completing the program. During my senior year of high school, my basketball coach took us to an NBA game between the New York Knicks and San Antonio Spurs. I was in an arena of giants, and one of my friends got his own souvenir from the trash can. It was a cup that his favorite player had taken a drink from. Recently, I met Lennox Lewis (an amazing boxer) in the airport, Dierks Bentley (a country music singer) at a prayer breakfast, and saw John MacArthur (a Bible expositor) speak in person. For some reason, there was a sense of joy, excitement and respect which arose in my heart.

If you have ever come into contact with someone like this, I am sure that you acted the same way. Nervous, intimidated and scared to say a word, because whatever you say may make you sound ignorant. The moment is awkward for both parties. They don’t know you at all, and you seem to know everything about them from a distance. If only we could capture the same awe, reverence and love for the greatest person who ever walked on this earth—Jesus Christ. These men and women have been lifted up because of the gifts that they possess. Some look beautiful. Some can slam dunk any way you would like for them to. Some can box any man. Some are amazing singers. Some are amazing teachers. However with all of their gifts and their revenue combined, none can compare to Jesus!

There is something about His name that has echoed through the halls of history. The bookstores are full with pages refuting the beauty, historicity, significance, teachings, miracles, power, love, sacrifice and claims of the Christ who lived in Galilee two thousand years ago. He’s approachable, but beware, He knows everything about you. He leaves no room for hypocrisy, is not influenced by money or power, and hates the pride of men. When you come into His presence, you will immediately be humbled by His grace and left speechless by His glory! Though He inhabits eternity, he resides in the hearts of the lowly who need His mercy to make it each day. He saves all who come to him by faith with a repentant heart. From the most arrogant church member who has never met him to the homeless drunk on the street, He shares His gift of salvation. Have you really met him?

Five years ago this week, I found myself to be trapped in religious traditions, lost, lonely and broken inside. I was crying on my bed in the middle of the night, desperate, willing to change, in need of forgiveness and yearning for peace. I had no where to go and no where to turn. The Lord came looking for me, and he found me in the darkness of my sin. He picked me up, began carrying me, and now He’s teaching me to walk by faith and not by sight. He has never left me since, but corrects me often. The glamour, prestige and excitement of meeting these big-named people has drifted away with time. They left their impression for a moment, but Christ has captivated and will captivate me for eternity. My heart is still giddy and full of joy and excitement. As I realize and understand more about Jesus each day, I stand amazed that He would speak to someone like you and me!

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely adore this post. It is exactly what I thought you might say after meeting Dierks and seeing John MacArthur. God bless you for being so honest and true. You are a beautiful writer; your thoughts are so inspiring to me. May God continue to lift you up; you truly are a gift to Him. I love you sweet husband.
    Love, Me

    ReplyDelete