Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Who's the Fool?

“The way of a fool is right in his own eyes: but he that hearkeneth unto counsel is wise.” (Proverbs 12:15)

"Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise. For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God." (1 Corinthians 3:18-19)


Approximately fifty years old with gray hair. A white, collared shirt with black pants and boots. Dark eyes and a friendly smile. A tragic situation, needing help. What could I give a man who had just this day lost his father and had learned his mother was hit by a car? The desperation was looming on his face, and I knew I had the capability of giving him what he wanted: fifty-six dollars.

Of course, my immediate reaction was to help; I had seen my husband offer assistance to many. However, I also felt a “tug” at my heart as if God was speaking to me. After the man mentioned my husband’s name and claimed he knew what we had been going through, I quickly felt as though I was supposed to know this person standing in front of me. Standing in the church parking lot for our fundraising yard sale, I wrote a check to the church clerk for cash, and then, without hesitation, I handed the man $56 to assist with his travel expenses. I told him I would be praying for him and to please contact Brian when he learned of his mother’s condition.

It is fair to say that I will never hear from this stranger again. After his black truck left the church parking lot, my phone rang. Brian was calling from Israel, and I jumped right into questioning him about this “familiar” character. To my disgust, Brian informed me that he did not know the old man, that he had never talked to him before, and that it sounded as if I had been fooled. I cried as I hung up the phone, without even realizing why, but my heart grieved within me.

Driving away with tears in my eyes, I could not understand why a person would do such a thing to someone, especially one at church! Many of us would look at the deceitful old man as a fool (and we may be right), but personally, I cannot blame anyone without looking at myself first.

Upon questioning my actions, a small thought came to me; it was clear that I had played the part of the fool that day. You may be wondering, “How?” Let me explain, it seems at times when, at our weakest, the devil Himself can creep into our lives. This time was mine. I was:
· Hungry (from not eating lunch),
· Angry (that I was forced into an uncomfortable situation),
· Lonely (with Brian away in Israel), and
· Tired (having not slept well).
It is in moments like these, we always need to HALT. It was a perfect day for the devil to have his way. Without prayerfully considering what to do, I reacted hurriedly, thus the reasoning behind the outcome I faced. Proverbs states, “So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding… For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding (Proverbs 2:2, 6).” Had I simply stopped and realized that my heart was grieved because God was speaking the truth over the situation, I would have “HALTed” and asked the Lord for wisdom.

What areas in your life are you playing the fool? How often do you find yourself looking back wondering how you could have done things differently? It is sometimes challenging for us when put in situations to ask of and use God’s wisdom because we are fools. It is through the knowledge of the Lord that we are made wise. Make certain you HALT; let God provide you with His wisdom.

Working on Spiritual Wisdom,
Jenna R. Johnson
Jennarjohnson@yahoo.com and http://jennarjohnson.blogspot.com/
Visit Words of Encouragement on the Web.

P.S. – Brian and the group will be returning from Israel on Saturday, June 7th. Please remember them in prayer as they travel home. Thank you for your love, prayers, and support!

No comments:

Post a Comment