Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Suffering Joyfully

These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world. John 16:33
For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: 1 Peter 3:18

Have you ever wondered why there is so much suffering in the world around us? From a common cold, laying in a nursing home or the wars that rage around the world, suffering is something that you and me are touched with everyday. We often like to shield ourselves from it, but it is inevitable that it will eventually catch up to you. Right now, you may be physically fit, mentally sharp and emotionally together. However, what would happen to you spiritually if suffering came knocking on your door. Would your life break into pieces or would you stand firm on the solid rock of Christ.

Last week, my eyes were opened to suffering in the simplest of ways to the point of intense pain. About mid-week, my wife became ill with a cold/allergies. This lasted for a few days and eventually went away after it had run its course. A simple cold is the result of sin that brought forth the dying process through the fall of man. Can you imagine what life will be like in the presence of our Creator without the worries of getting colds, headaches or any forms of sickness? What a day that will be!

I was also able to visit the nursing home where the smells are not the typical kinds that come from a Glade plug in or the new oils that fill our homes with sweet aromas. A few steps within the doors bring you to the reality of life. Everyone will eventually grow old and get into the shape where they can barely take care of themselves. While visiting for a little while, I walked into the room of two women. One was lying in her bed flat on her back, and the other was sitting upright in her chair. I went by to visit and tried to encourage them, however they encouraged me. They began telling me about when they were young, how God had saved them, how they loved to sing hymns, and hear the Word of God preached. They were no longer able to get out and about like they used to, but were excited to see a visitor. After hearing about their love for music, we began singing a couple of hymns. It was as if their whole bodies, eyes and voices perked up as they began thinking about heaven and being free from the body of sin and death. Even in the midst of getting old, suffering, and often being alone, they could find comfort in God’s Word, which brought their hearts great delight.

Last, one of the hardest things that I have ever had to witness is the aging of my grandfather. Throughout the years, the 6-foot 220lb man has been immortalized in my eyes. He has been the one who has taught me much of the Word of God. When I needed advice, I would go to him. He always was there to buy my sports gear, spoil me with pizza, and carry me to the park to play tennis. Now, he is resting in the hospital unable to walk or eat whole food. His body is writhing in pain from many hard years of labor and the arthritis that has crumbled his body to a height of 5’6” or so. Suffering is very real to him, but scripture still illuminates his mind. As I read Romans 8 to him last week, He quoted many of the scriptures as his source of strength. Before departing the hospital, I told him that I wasn’t sure if I could make it home again to visit him, but I would see him on the other side. He smiled in pain saying, “we have a great hope don’t we!” When you have Christ in you, you have the hope of glory! (Col 1:27)

Certainly, it is difficult to think about the pain of others and even us, yet deep down you and I are facing some degree of suffering everyday. Your body might be sore when you wake up in the morning. You might be suffering mentally or physically due to marital, financial, or parenting problems. Possibly, you might be suffering for doing good and sharing the name of Christ. Whatever the case may be, we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin (Hebrews 4:15). Let’s look unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God (Hebrews 12:2).

No comments:

Post a Comment