Wednesday, August 15, 2007

To Alaska and back in 25 hours

Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
Mark 8:34 And when he had called the people unto him with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
Psalms 26:2 Examine me, O LORD, and prove me; try my mind and my heart.

Have you ever found yourself between a rock and a hard place, and you didn’t know how everything would come out in the end? Throughout the Bible, we find many occurrences of God’s deliverance right on time. Have you ever thought of Noah building the ark while the destruction of the world was eminent? What about Abraham when he was about to sacrifice his own son before God? How about Moses standing before the Red Sea with possibly a million or two people looking at him for deliverance? What about the night that you found yourself to be lost in sin and the conviction of God was weighing on your heart? Often, God will take us to the end of ourselves (our ideas, plans, capabilities and strength) to reveal His Awesome power.

Let me set you up with the scenario I faced last week. I had been led by the Spirit of God to go on a mission trip to Alaska with a 79 year old man who wouldn’t travel alone. We were to leave on Thursday for Anchorage to help in a series of lectures on Evangelism and Missions. God had spoken and convinced my heart about two weeks ago that this was His will for me. I have only been married for about 5 months, and this was going to be hard on my wife and I to be separated for six days. You might be laughing that our young love desires for us to be so close. It does and I am glad that I look forward to being with her every moment that our jobs do not take us away. Even then, a call can inspire each of us to strive for excellence as we are working for the Lord. Are you getting a picture of what I was about to face in order to do the will of the Lord? The best is yet to come.

My grandfather had been in the hospital for about two weeks and was getting worse. This is the man that I have looked up to all my life. He has taught me the word of God by teaching at church and by living it out. He is probably the closest man to my heart in my family. I loved him so much. On Tuesday before the trip, the family was called in to spend the last few hours with him. I was able to go last Wednesday and visit while our family gathered around his bed singing hymns of praise and reading the Word of God. It wasn’t a pretty picture watching the man I had almost immortalized slowly pay the debt of sin—death. However, my strength came in knowing what awaited him after his last breath. I left Wednesday with a burdened heart for my family and yet was still convinced of God’s will to leave for Alaska. Every possible circumstance that I could imagine was against me. I knew I had to get the 79 year old to Alaska, leave my wife for a few days and miss the last few hours of my grandfather’s life even though some in my family thought I was crazy. When God speaks, we must listen regardless of the circumstances.

On Thursday morning, I received a call from my family that my grandfather wasn’t doing any better and that it could be anytime. Still persuaded, I left my wife and met my friend to leave for the airport. We flew from Nashville to Minneapolis and on to Anchorage. It was almost 9PM our time when we arrived. We were met by two brethren and taken to their home for a meal. We were able to fellowship during the meal and encourage each other in the scriptures. After three hours and weary eyes, we prepared for bed. I noticed on my cell phone that I had missed a few calls. I retrieved the voice mails that notified me that my grandfather had left us to be with the Lord. Like Peter who was sinking on the water, I prayed, “Lord direct me.” The 79 year old was now in bed. I felt my mission was complete. I looked for flights back home and there just so happened to be one in two hours. I called Northwest and booked the flight at 3:30 AM CST. After six hours in Alaska, I can say that I have been there, done that and even bought a T-shirt in the airport to prove it. I arrived home at 12:35PM on Friday.

Many friends and family came by for visitation, and I was able to help preach my grandfather’s funeral on Sunday at 3PM. During the morning service, I was thinking about what I would have been doing if still in Alaska. I had prepared a lesson to teach in Sunday school, and the minister (in TN) preached from the same scriptures that I was suppose to teach on in Alaska. God comforted my heart and showed me how big that He was. During the afternoon, the funeral lasted an hour and a half with singing, prayers and preaching. There were many in the crowd who were not prepared to meet the Lord. We concluded the services at the church’s cemetery where my grandfather served as deacon for 40-50 years.

The pastor asked me to preach at the opening night of their revival at 7PM. Though tired and weary, God’s grace was sufficient and His Spirit was moving in the hearts of everyone in the church. As we walked in, it reminded me of the old days where the church was so full that the windows had to be raised, so that everyone could hear and see. The singing was powerful and the Lord enabled me to preach a message on The Great Divide from Luke 16:19-31. My eighteen-year old cousin who had been convicted at the funeral sat on the front row. During the invitation, she came to the altar, sought the Lord, and was gloriously saved through the power of the Holy Spirit.

Time and circumstance are not just haphazard events that corner us in our lives. God’s timing is perfect and will work all things out for His good purpose as we wait on His deliverance. He is all-powerful, and if He is on your side, who can be against you? I guess I write this week to show you the Amazing God that all true believers in Jesus Christ serve. I also write at length for healing of my own heart. Now, I can relate better to those who have lost some of the most precious people in their lives. Jesus was a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief. He is not far off but is a very present help in time of trouble, pain, sorrow or distress. His ways are perfect and He is truly an all-sufficient Savior. Grace and peace to each of you!

Comforted by the Father of Mercies

No comments:

Post a Comment