Thursday, November 8, 2007

Afraid of the Dark?

2 Peter 1:19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shines in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:

Growing up, I was afraid of the dark. I always had to have my door open, in case something jumped out of my closet or came out from under my bed. I was easily afraid for some reason. Our house was right beside the highway, and I guess I was scared that someone might stop by and peck on my window in the middle of the night. The reality of this ever happening in the small rural town that I grew up in was highly unlikely, but for a child with an imagination that wandered, I needed security. My parents understood my childish ways completely and probably wanted me to quit waking them up in the middle of the night and wanting to sleep with them. And so, they purchased a night light for the bathroom right down the hall. With all of the lights off in the middle of the night, I could glance down the hall and feel secure and safe while I drifted off to sleep.

Have you realized that being afraid of the dark is still a great problem with adults? I thought that growing up would take away some of the fear of the darkness of the night. It has in a physical sense. My wife can tell you how I have trained myself to walk through the house in the middle of the night with no lights on and check all of the doors. I enjoy being able to avoid the obstacles; however, I do sometimes fear stubbing my toe when I stray off my path. The physical darkness today is nothing compared to the spiritual darkness that looms all around. Death is on every person’s trail. Sin and sickness weigh us down and many people live like there is no hope.

Just the other day, I talked with a 19 year old young man who told me that he didn’t think that he would live another year. He was raised in the projects, orphaned and was plunging down a sinful spiral of drugs, alcohol and sexual promiscuity. He was like a child without any hope. He didn’t have any parents to turn to or a night-light that could help him feel safe and secure. I asked him if he had ever heard or understood the gospel. He told me that he didn’t, and by the time I ended sharing the Word of God, he had a smile on his face. He had a glimmer of hope as I shared with him about the Light of the World— Jesus Christ. Only God knows the young man’s heart…

Where can we find security and safety with everything that is going on around us? We can trust and believe in Hebrews 4:13 which says, “Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.” God sees everything, and in knowing Christ, we do not have to be afraid of any of our tomorrows. “His word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path” (Psalms 119:105). “Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths” (Proverbs 3:5-6). “For we walk by faith, not by sight” (2 Corinthians 5:7).

If you have lost your way, remember that we have a night-light to direct us through the darkness. It’s alive and is a great source of security and safety. The closer you get to it the greater your ability to see what is really going on in life. Don’t forget that your life may be a night-light that directs other to the source of light, life and love. In John 8:12, Jesus said, “I am the light of the world: he that follows me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.”

No comments:

Post a Comment