Sunday, May 25, 2008

Heaven

Revelation 21:3-5 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God. And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.

Recently, I visited a 97-year old man who welcomed me into his apartment (or old-folks home as he would call it) with a song. Apparently, he had been singing before I got there and was filled with the thoughts of his future home. He was singing, “Someday when I travel my last mile here, the call will be coming for me, I’ll enter the life-boat that will be near to carry me over the sea, He’ll hold to my hand.” What a blessed thought to know that we should have nothing at all to fear in this life. The Apostle Paul told young Timothy, “For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind” (2 Timothy 1:7). Knowing Christ is the greatest comfort for every age-group, economic status, and nationality. As strangers and pilgrims in this wilderness of the world, we know that we have a home that is prepared for us someday.

Growing up as a child, we were always occupied by what we would be when we grew up. I know that my great ideas of having a wife, children, home and a few pets was all that I really thought about. Now, that the Lord has blessed me with a few of those things, I occasionally set back and think about all that there is to come, and “why am I here”? Romans 8:18 reminds us, “For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.” Many today are living for the here and now and have lost an eternal perspective. “The god of this world has blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.” Christian brother or sister, we have much work to do while we are here. “The harvest truly is great, but the laborers are few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth laborers into his harvest” (Luke 10:2).

The Apostle Paul reminds us of our great purpose in Christ in Philippians 1:21-25 saying, “For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. But if I am to live on in the flesh, this will mean fruitful labor for me; and I do not know which to choose. But I am hard-pressed from both directions, having the desire to depart and be with Christ, for that is very much better; yet to remain on in the flesh is more necessary for your sake. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with you all for your progress and joy in the faith (NASB).” After losing my father a week ago, a baby to miscarriage, a grandfather, and my wife’s grandmother during this past year, my heart is strengthen by the eternal truths of God’s Word and energized by the Spirit to exalt Christ everyday while I am here on this earth. There is only One who holds the keys to death and hell and sits at the right hand of the Majesty on High. Jesus said, “My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand (John 10:27-29). Like the 97-year old saint who was singing, we can rest secured that Jesus is holding us and will bring us safely through the valleys and over the mountains of life. One day, we’ll make it home to the other side where there is no more death, sorrow, crying or pain. It will be worth it all.

Life is temporary
This sounds so contrary in the world’s eyes
Everyone gets too attached
Each other they begin to despise
Some have great wealth, some fortune, some fame
Others are poor, or lonely, a no name
It really does not matter.
I’m only here for stay.
I stop, look, then go my way.
I am on a continual path, to my real home—Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment