Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I can do all things through Christ!

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Unexpected trials… Have you ever had any that made you want to stay in bed and forget everything that was going on around you? Often, our lives can be like the dreams that we wake up to in the morning and are glad they were only in our mind. If you live very long, you will face trials that you see coming on the horizon, and some will drop down like tornados to test the strength of your faith in Christ. Some people look at trials as horrible times of tragedy, but I am learning that trials come into our lives to give us a clearer view of God’s greatness, power and strength. I can see why James wrote, “Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing” (1:2-4NASB)

The Lord never promised that life would be easy. He did promise believers that he would always be with us. Even on the brink of Jesus’ death on the cross, He reminded his disciples, “These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world” (John 16:33). This morning I barely wanted to get out of bed, and then I remembered in my meditations the greatness of God and His tender strength. God’s word began welling up inside me and the clouds of pain and hurt went away. For many of you who may not know or have forgotten, life is but a vapor. One week ago, my dad was home with my mother, and this morning he is at home with the Lord.

Last week’s Words of Encouragement was entitled “Role Models.” One of my favorite role models is my dad. I think that is the way it should be. I even was able to tell him that just a few days before his death. Let me give you a brief wake up call! My dad went to sleep last Thursday afternoon and never woke up. He must have had a heart attack in his sleep. What a glorious way to pass from this life to the next! He was 48 years old and had been married to my mom for 31 years. They had never known any one else. From the outside looking in, this seems like a tragedy, but from a 27-year old son’s perspective, it is a tremendous blessing! As I preached my Dad’s funeral, I told our family and friends that I was either heartless or there was power in the word of God.

Growing up, I never had any doubts about where my dad stood with the Lord. Being a son, I was able to read the open book of his life. I saw the weaknesses and the strengths. My dad often spoke of being saved at a revival service at his home church in August of 1977. He liked to sing and would often sing a song, “Do you know how it feels?” In the song, he questioned the congregation on the sincerity of their salvation. My father knew God and lived out the truth. He took our family to church, gave me the eye at the end of the pew (this often meant discipline after church), taught me the value of hard work, and how to love a wife. This morning I listened to a song that he had recorded entitled, “If Tomorrow Never Comes.” It basically says that he hoped that he lived everyday letting people know how much he loved them! When you love with all your heart, you can die with a clean slate and little or no regrets.

My last encounter with my dad was at a basketball banquet last week where I grew up. At the close of the evening, we departed with warm embrace and an “I love you.” I guess I write today to those hurting hearts that are beaten down by life. I am reminded of a 17th century poet named John Donne. He wrote two poems that strengthen me. They are “Batter My Heart Three- Person’d God” and “Death, Be Not Proud.” My wife and I have lost her Nana in July, my Granddaddy (Dad’s dad) in August, Ethan Caleb (our baby we lost due to a miscarriage) in February, and Daddy on May 8th. My heart is broken, bruised, shattered and battered yet growing stronger everyday. I have never felt God so close in my life. He is with me, and He is with you. Death can not stop a child of God. It can only motivate us to glory in the cross, be gripped by grace, and overcome all obstacles. The Apostle Paul wrote to the Corinthians saying, “O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?” The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law; but thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your toil is not in vain in the Lord” (1 Cor. 15:55-58 NASB) Please do not be defeated, discouraged or doubting, but determined to keep pressing on toward the mark of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus!

3 comments:

  1. Son, I love your site. This is amazing. First time I've seen anything like this.
    You stay with the book and you will never go wrong with the Lords help.
    You and Jenna stay strong together in this rough time caz you know this is what your Dad as well as me would want you to do!
    God Bless You Both,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Husband,
    Your site is looking better by the minute! It's a good thing you are married to a genius! Thank you for allowing me to use my talents for you, and I pray that God will continue to bless the words He gives you.
    I love you,
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Me,
    I am glad I have a daughter-n-law that is a genius and many talents to help my son who thinks he is a genius!! Your page is really pretty. JRJ just keep adding more pictures for us to look at with the words that husband writes. A BEAUTIFUL joint adventure!
    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete