Monday, April 16, 2007

Convinced by His Love

And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth. John 1:14
Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high; Hebrews 1:3


What if someone came up to you today and gave you exactly what you did not deserve? Maybe while driving to work and experiencing road rage, the person perpendicular to you smiled and let you turn in front of them onto the busy road. Have you ever been smart with someone, and they spoke to you in absolute kindness? What about being invited into someone’s home that you barely knew and being served an incredible meal and experiencing a night of great conversation. Have you thought about the breath that you breathed this morning, the breakfast on the table, car to drive, job to go to, and family to spend your time with? We are lavished with God’s grace everyday, yet do we take time to see it?

Jesus was always full of grace and truth in every action, word spoken, and numerous thoughts that He has toward us. He didn’t have to be so kind to a world of sinners, yet He was. He could have easily destroyed us, because of His hatred for sin and our rebellious heart, yet He is longsuffering and showed us what grace and truth was all about. Often when we speak Jesus’ name, we almost consider Him as just a man from a comic book who has supernatural powers. We relate Him to so many things and people around us that we reduce Him from His exalted state as Lord and Savior. It is very dangerous to throw His name around as the man upstairs and any other degrading form of using His name. His Name is above all others. Growing up, my dad would correct me when I said “gah” or “geez,” because in a sense, I was only saying part of what many said in whole. Would you ever think about insulting a king in this world by misusing His name? He is Holy and always will be even in a land where the lines of authority are shaded with gray. Though Jesus is full of grace, He is also the truth and must be honored as the Prince of Peace.

I have always wondered in my mind how big was God? If I could only get a picture or thought about His greatness, I knew it would change me. Last week, I had the opportunity to see part of God’s creation in exploring the Grand Canyon. I realize that Isaiah 46:5 says, “To whom will ye liken me, and make me equal, and compare me, that we may be like?” God is incomparable and uncreated. He is God and there is none like Him. However as I stood with my head hanging over the edge of the Grand Canyon, I could not help but get a glimpse of the power, glory and majesty of our Creator. He is greater than I could ever imagine and more beautiful than my eye could contain. If He could create something like the Grand Canyon, what could Jesus do with my life?

Overwhelmed by such beauty, I was reminded that the Canyon was created as a result of the Flood in Genesis. The flood was sent as a judgment on sin, and as a result, the earth was changed forever leaving behind this hole in the ground. I saw the Majesty and artistic design as the handiwork of God. If He can turn the tragedy of sin into a triumph for His glory, I can’t wait to see what He will do with a human life that has trusted in His Son. For you and I were once dead and destroyed by the depravity of sin, but by His stripes our souls our healed and lives made into something beautiful in His sight. If God takes such detail in creating the Grand Canyon that is temporary, what do you think He will do with those who trust Him for eternal life?

We must return to a sense of the Majesty of God in everyday life. Catching a glimpse of His power and wonder can change the way you live in your treatment of His word, name and only begotten Son. He has graced us with His presence and left His mark on time and human hearts through the cross. Will you allow Him to be your all and all or will you be as one who stands in front of the Grand Canyon (the colossal evidence of God’s love and justice in the cross) and say I see nothing? Yesterday while getting a fountain drink at a restaurant, I noticed a lady who had her hands full with drinks, chips and queso, and a burrito. I asked if I could help her carry some of her food to the table. She said, “No thanks, I can handle it.” I knew she was overloaded and three steps later the chips and queso were lying in the floor for someone else to clean up. Jesus knows the weight of sin, responsibility and the cost to love. Don’t wait until your life is a wreck to hand it over to Him! He wants to shower you with His grace and make your burdens lighter through His atoning death and power of the new life in the resurrection!

No comments:

Post a Comment