Thursday, May 17, 2007

Exhorting one another daily…

And Joses, who was also named Barnabas by the apostles (which is translated Son of Encouragement), a Levite of the country of Cyprus, having land, sold it, and brought the money and laid it at the apostles’ feet. Acts 4:36-37
Then news of these things came to the ears of the church in Jerusalem, and they sent out Barnabas to go as far as Antioch. 23When he came and had seen the grace of God, he was glad, and encouraged them all that with purpose of heart they should continue with the Lord. 24For he was a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and of faith. And a great many people were added to the Lord. Acts 11:22-24
Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.


Who is the first person that you can think of that you would want to be around because they are always uplifting to you in your walk with Christ? Some people have a great ability or at least work to be an encouragement to others. Do you consider yourself an encourager, one who stimulates faith, or are you resting on the sidelines waiting for your day to come. Today is a great day to begin encouraging others, because it releases the power of God within you.

In the book of Acts, we find a man named Joses, or Joseph, who had become so acquainted with the church that the apostles called him the Son of Encouragement. He sold land and gave the proceeds to the church and later was found in Antioch encouraging the church to stay close to the Lord. “For he was a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and of faith.” He was the type of man that everyone would want to be around. Are you allowing the Holy Spirit to develop a spirit of encouragement in you for others to be blessed?

People need to see Jesus everywhere you go because we are all running in the race called life. Almost a year ago, I entered the half-marathon in Nashville’s Music City Marathon. I was untrained or actually hadn’t trained that much, but I was determined that I could run the race with sheer strength. I have always thought that I could do anything that I could set my mind to do by myself. I was strong and young but inexperienced. When the gun sounded, the adrenaline rush with 20,000 people in the pack sent me off at a faster pace than normal. I couldn’t help myself but wanted to feel the energy of the crowd. Being able to watch hundreds of people just like me encouraged me to run like a deer. The fans were yelling, music was pumping, and legs striding until I began hitting a wall at mile 6 and mile 11. My energy ran dry, motivation was declining and the determination to finish strong was slowed down to taking one step at a time. I was alone and trying to push myself to go farther but my sheer strength was failing. The pack had scattered and it was me against the road….

Do you ever get to the place in your Christian walk where you feel like you are the only one carrying a heavy load? Galatians 6:5 says, “For every man shall bear his own burden.” We all have our own jobs, responsibilities and weight to carry, but how much easier does it make it when there is a Barnabas around? During the most painful parts of the race, I began looking around to those that were beside me. There were other people hurting like me. They were feeling the cramps, sore feet from the journey, and sweat trickling down. Something amazing happened when I took my eyes off of myself and began to talk and encourage others. I forgot about my pain and felt a new freedom, rejuvenated spirit and a heart that was ready to press on. I’ll never forgot the face of the runner who came by my side to help me that day because she exhorted me so much the more as the race was about to end…

Keep pressing toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 3:14) Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. (Hebrews 12:2) The race will soon be over and we are closer and closer each day to the prize. Stay focused on Jesus, encourage those around you like Barnabas, and be a willing heart for God’s power to flow through you!

No comments:

Post a Comment