Thursday, January 25, 2007

A Friend of Sinners

Luke 5:27-30 And after these things he went forth, and saw a publican, named Levi, sitting at the receipt of custom: and he said unto him, Follow me. And he left all, rose up, and followed him. And Levi made him a great feast in his own house: and there was a great company of publicans and of others that sat down with them. But their scribes and Pharisees murmured against his disciples, saying, Why do ye eat and drink with publicans and sinners?
Matthew 11:19 The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners. But wisdom is justified of her children.


Have you ever imagined how much impact you could make on someone’s life just by smiling at them, writing them an encouraging note, or possibly sharing the simple Gospel message of Jesus? While visiting the mission on Tuesday, I was awakened to my need of being a better friend to sinners. In the above passage, we see how Jesus called Levi, a despised tax collector, to follow Him. In simple obedience, Levi got up and followed after Christ and became one of his disciples. Now, we often talk about being set apart for God to use us. We strive to live with pure hearts and be clean as possible. At least, this has often been my concept. But what does this really mean? Should I shut myself in and only hang out with those that go to my church and fit in my crowd? Is this being set apart? If so, how can I reach any lost person with the light of the Gospel if I am afraid to go near them? How easy it is for us to forget that we used to walk in the same patterns of life?

While sitting at the mission in the cafeteria, these words immediately began coming alive. Instead of just cleaning tables and being quiet, I realized that I needed to begin saying something and relating to these men just to bring a smile or a simple response. Many of them were hurting inside and needed someone to step out of their comfort zone and reach out to their heart.

One such man, I will call Roger. He had quite a story to tell. About 12-15 months ago, one of his friends had received a tax refund and decided to visit family in Nashville, Tennessee. They had been living in New York and wanted a change. And so, they came, and Roger said on the first day that he was here he met a woman. His emotions and Nashville’s hospitality greeted him with a new friend. They began dating and continued for over a year until Roger had a few turn of events. His life had already been a ball of confusion. With six children, three wives and paying child support, He had placed himself in a big hole, but it gets a little bit bigger.

Some time ago, Roger had another accident. While driving his car down the road, a deer out in front of him and his car was totaled. In losing his car, he had no way to get to work and therefore lost his job. Without the job to supply money, the lady didn’t need him anymore and kicked him out of the house. What a turn of events in just a year? He was like many Americans who live week-to-week and paycheck-to-paycheck. A sudden surprise could leave anyone on the streets. I began sensing the instability of this man who was built like a cowboy. He had been trying to live his life in his own strength and it has gotten him in a deep dark hole. His heart seemed to have very little hope…
I began asking this man from New York if he had ever heard of the gospel. I could tell that he seemed pretty untouched by the religious crowd. He was the raw product of street life. With a calm voice, he said he had never really heard it. Can you imagine someone in Nashville, Tennessee never hearing about the greatest news in the entire world? I asked him if I could share it with him. He said yes if it would not take that long. The next few minutes were highlights in my week. We began with the law of God, and I asked him if he had ever told a lie. He said “yes.” Then, have you ever stolen anything? He said yes again. Finally, I explained what Jesus said about adultery. If a man looks upon a woman with lust in his heart, it is the same thing as committing adultery. He said I’ve definitely broken that one. He was being very honest with himself. I began explaining to him the holiness of God, how He hates sin, and that man was under the condemnation of the law. I asked him where would He go if He had to stand today before a Holy God. He did tell me there were two places—Heaven and Hell. He said he would be going to hell. He told me that it concerned him. Then, he was open to hearing about what Jesus did for us in becoming sin, dying on the cross as our substitute, being buried and being raised the third day victorious over death, hell and the grave. He said, he had never heard of this type of Good News! He walked away with a ray of hope in the dark pit of sin that he had found himself in. Will this seed take root and grow? Only eternity will know…

I have learned a lesson though. True joy comes with simple obedience as Levi portrayed in immediately following Jesus. Within seconds, this chance to glorify God could have passed away in the depths of lost opportunities. How many of those will I miss? Hopefully not any more, because a man’s eternity could be changed if we all learned to be like Jesus—a friend of sinners.

No comments:

Post a Comment