Monday, January 8, 2007

Life as a Refrigerator

Dec 29, 2003

During the past few days, I have been in reflection over God's work in my life this year. It has been one of the most trying, yet the best year of my life thus far. What an adventure!!! I, like you, have a list of things that have happened and are happening even now. Some I would call good and others bad. However, in Romans 8:28, Paul tells us, "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." This encourages me that everything this year has happen for a distinct purpose and that purpose is to conform me into the image of Jesus.
Even today, God has reminded me of His Holiness and what he wants to do with my life just as He does yours. A friend used this illustration last week, and I have found it to be so true. Think of your life as a refrigerator. The outside of it is usually covered up with magnets, pictures, and schedules, and the door is shut most of the day. If you want to be honest, we all have our days like this. We want to be shut off to the world, and let no one in. We live in an external world. We hide behind our clothes, houses, cars, and never let God come into our days. We are caught up in busyness.
Now, the most important part of the refrigerator is its power source. Is yours connected to the 220 voltage? My 2:20 is in Galatians "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." While standing outside the door, there is darkness within the refrigerator. This is when I deny God to work through me and want no part with Him. Revelation 3:20 says, "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me."
Next, let's open up the door. Immediately, the light is on and everything is exposed. I John 1:5 tells us, "This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all." This is the part that is hard to deal with. God has reminded me that I have some spoiled milk, flat Coke, and a few leftovers that need thrown into the trash. The baking soda only works so long and it's time to forsake my habitual sins. Proverbs 28:13 "He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy. Note: This is an illustration. My refrigerator is very clean. We will not go into the coldest parts of the refrigerator, because the bitterness and coldness there causes freezer burn. All this is to declare Isaiah 43:18-19 for the new year, "Remember ye not the former things, neither consider the things of old. Behold, I will do a new thing; now it shall spring forth; shall ye not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert." God wants us to rejoice in His love and mercy over this past year, but He wants to do a new thing in your life this next year. He wants to exceed your expectations as you take pleasure in Him. Take a moment to think how God brought the Israelites through the Red Sea, provided food and water in the wilderness, and delivered them into the Promised Land. He wants to do the same for you! The key is to be connected to His power source and let Him in. As for me, I must let Him do the throwing out, because I do not have the strength to do it on my own. He will tear down the strongholds and will bless you tremendously for your obedience. May the Light of God's Presence illuminate your soul within!

No comments:

Post a Comment