Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Romans 5:8

September 28, 2005

But God commended his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. (Romans 5:8)

As I gaze upon this verse, I am left speechless. My hearts pours out the deepest emotions of gratitude, praise and worship to the only One who is worthy. My mind searches the width and height of the love that was displayed in Christ's commitment to you and I on the bloody cross. His love wasn't a bubbly feeling, puppy love, or any other superficial lust that our world has come to agree with as being love. It was much more....
Over the past year and a half, I have had the privilege of volunteering at the local mission. It has become one of my favorite places to be. I have listened to stories of being shot, stabbed, wrecking cars, falling from buildings, using every drug on the street possible, getting drunk and waking up in places you never knew, prostituting, lying, cheating and stealing and much more. The list could go on and on.. I believe you get the picture. It may even make you snarl your nose at some of the things that are listed and make you think that you are better than some of them. Jesus warned us in Matthew 15:19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: In reality, everyone of us could be there apart from the grace of God. A few bad decisions is all it would take.
Often, we find ourselves feeling invisible as if nothing can touch us or would dare to touch us. On the other extreme, we can be the cleanest people on earth. You may not use drugs, alcohol, have sex outside of marriage, yet your heart could be as filthy as some of the homeless people on the streets who have not taken baths in days. This filth can be unnoticeable to many except yourself and a few around you. It follows you all around and leaves a stench behind. It can even follow you to your church on Sunday and can even make its way into your prayer time and Bible study. What object of the heart could be so hidden, secretive and unknown to others though darkening the very core of who you are......It's should be an easy answer-- PRIDE.
We all have it, because it is built into our competitive nature of, "I am better than you!" Though, we often think nothing of it, God hates it. Nothing is hidden from His eyes. What has happened to "He must increase, but I must decrease. (John 3:30)," "But now, O LORD, thou art our father; we are the clay, and thou our potter; and we all are the work of thy hand (Isaiah 64:8)" or If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me (Matt 16:24)" We can easily cast these words from our Bible's and overlook them because they get a little too personal. You and I do not like to hear this type of talking! Everything is fine until the Word confronts us and calls for a change. We call Jesus "Lord," but do we really mean it?
Jesus Christ has the right to be Lord of lords and King of kings. He saw us as we were- full of pride and deceit and yet still loved us in our filthy rags. He was even homeless and ate with publicans and sinners. I can imagine Him talking openly with them and telling them the truth. They had nothing to hide and everything was exposed on the level field that we all stand. You and I are guilty! I am the meanest man I know. But thanks be to God, which gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. (1 Cor. 15:57) Today, it is a privilege to stand beside you and lift my hands in praise and adoration of His undying love!

2 comments:

  1. The page is looking wonderful!

    And the words are as encouraging as ever! Thank you, Brian, for always doing just that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jenna, for checking out the blog and for being an inspiration to me as well. Hopefully, God will use this little vision to do something great for His kingdom. Small seeds can grow into huge trees. I just got in from Raleigh late last night and feel the affects of it today a little. I hope you have a great day and I'll see you tomorrow if the Lord wills. Keep praying!

    ReplyDelete