Monday, January 15, 2007

An ordinary man with an Extraordinary God

May 4, 2005

Never underestimate the power of prayer and God's ability to hear every word we say!

Stop for a moment and think about where you are going in life! Are you wandering, wondering, and walking in circles or is each day full of meaning and purpose. Often circumstances cause us to pause, let us catch our breathe from the fast lane of life, and allows us to reevaluate our current position.

On Monday, a friend and I were walking through a park in Franklin, TN and sharing about what God was teaching, and how he was stretching and empowering us for His service. It was one of the most refreshing times that I have spent in the recent weeks. Time seemed to stand still or actually pass by without us even knowing it. I love when life is so full that I forget about my age, my agendas, my problems, my this, my that, my, my, my. We were focused on helping each other grow and learn to be better men of God.

As we walked through the park, we noticed a guy in the field searching for something in the grass. Honestly, we walked on by barely saying "Hi!" We were so focused on the great time we were having sharing about the Lord and the other guy was so busy searching. Our paths didn't seem to cross. We were both in two separate worlds. As Christians, we tend to do this often. People are lost, lonely and abused, and we simply neglect them because they are not a member of our church or maybe even do not go to church. We have forgotten to be observant and open minded to what God is really saying. As we walked about 100ft past the guy, I thought, "What if we could help him find what he is searching for?" We turned around and began praying for an open door to share. Upon approaching the guy, he continued searching with his face to the ground. It was a collision of egos. He was embarrassed, and we really didn't know what to say. We politely asked, "Can we help you?" It startled him for a moment and he seemed to be taken back asking, "Why would someone want to help me look through all this grass?"

My friend and I gazed across the landscape and asked, what are we looking for? In slight humiliation he told us that on Saturday during a game of Frisbee golf, his tooth had broken in half from the dog chain that he held in his hand. Don't ask me the details. I am still puzzled. Somehow, he threw the Frisbee with one hand and the dog chain in his other hand slipped and swung around slapping him in the mouth leaving him with half a tooth. We asked if we could pray for this situation, and he finally agreed. "How else could we find half of a half of a tooth in a field of grass?" However, God knew right where it was!

This story may seem long, interesting, and almost unbelievable but after looking up to heaven and calling out to God on the smallest of matters, he heard us! I walked around for a few moments stopped and said, "Father please help us by showing yourself strong in this guy's life!" I looked down and in the midst of the grass, I found a pearly tooth of great price and returned it to its rightful owner. He hit his knees knowing God had heard our prayer and praised the Name of our Lord Jesus Christ! The morale of the story is that many are searching and wandering in the grass alone searching for their life. They are ashamed to ask for help, because we are so caught up in our own world and pride. When we take time to say a prayer and step out in faith, God is able to make an ordinary day extraordinary! Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen. Ephesians 3:20-21

No comments:

Post a Comment