Tuesday, January 9, 2007

The Prodigal Son

(10-2-03 Dallas, TX 10:24AM)

Into the wayfaring land I did stray
I walked on my own and never prayed

What about the book my dad had read?
I didn’t care and walked as dead

He had taught me the truth for so long
Now, I’m wandering singing the world’s song

I spent the money that he had promised to me
It provided me with riches temporarily

The city, the lights, the newness of all
Yet his still small voice a beckoning call

Was always ringing in the back of my mind
You are one of my sons, one of a kind

I continued to explore as a reckless fool
Until all of myself the world did rule

I had drowned in lights of despair
When I was kicked to the curb, no one cared

Lonely, lost, blind, and confused
Another puppet on the stage to amuse

I had fallen so low in the pit of shame
I had been defeated in life even if it’s a game

Scattered upon the ground
My search for self went round and round

In the mud and mire I continued to roll
But a sweet voice echoed, it’s time to come home

How could I go home in such a mess?
My mind was thinking and heart to contest


I had made a mockery of my family’s name
Seeking the world of riches, power and fame

Where else could I go to get a good meal?
I’ve been starving for days the desperation was real

Could I go home just to be a servant?
I am not sure because to feed the pigs I am not deserving

I started my journey home
For I was sick of every roam

Down the old beaten path I began to trod
Crying out to God, my God

I am just a wayfaring stranger
Looking unto the baby boy in manger

In Him, I shall find sweet rest
Because with all of my heart to Dad, I must confess

He’s always stood by my side
Now forever in his arms I must abide

For everyone has had their moment to explore
Until the day, He knocked on my door

On that day, He called me home
To a heart of gold from the hardest stone

Making it tender, beating and moldable
A love within that’s unholdable

Yet with the purest arms outstretched
My Father took me in though my life as wretch

The power within our reuniting
Made my heart to quiver though exciting

Coming home he killed the fatted calf
A feast was held on my behalf


At the table we continue to sup
From heart to heart and cup to cup

Forever at my King’s banquet
I just bow down my knees shouting “Thank You”

Wrapped in robes of scarlet white
In His bed I’ll sleep every night

An intimacy with the Father shared
For His name I continue to bear

When morning comes the birds will sing
It’s just the alarm clock of my King

His courts have been paved with gold
I have a mansion awaiting this I know

The gates are built with jewels so rare
Diamonds, sapphires, rubies everywhere

A tree stands amidst His garden
With waters flowing like glass that hardened

There is a Light that walks all around
When I see His face I’ll hit the ground

It’s brightness of Shekinah beyond comprehension
You can’t even express with every word in this dimension

Worshipping with angelic choirs, the redeemed are known
For all are gathered around the throne

His eyes are shining like a blazing fire
From whiteness of purity flows His power

His voice that speaks rumbles like thunder
Though while on earth His still small voice pierces asunder

Every word spoken from out His mouth
Are rivers flowing covering every drought


All pain, tears, sorrow and grief
All passed away, what a relief!

Joy unspeakable and full of glory
Is only a brief expression of this eternal story

It began with a wayfaring stranger seeking his own
It ends with all pilgrims who’ve made it home

Through valleys and mountains, lakes and skies
The Way, the Truth, and Life was the One who did die

All for you and me at Mount Calvary
That we would find ourselves at the cross, forgiven entirely

I’ve made it home to my resting place
His love alone was found through grace

It’s time to stand before Judgment’s Throne
Well done my son, “Welcome Home”

No comments:

Post a Comment